Tuesday 18 October 2011

Renders and Render things

Okay, today's rant is about Renders and 3D renderings.

From last year's Communications 2 Assignment. Still one of my favourite renders.



So, why am I the render monkey?

Simple, I love making cool things.
Also, I'm experienced with rendery things. Rendery things are cool.

I've been working on 3D stuff for a while now, I think I started back a few years ago in High School. I wanted an outlet for my creativity, but with the accuracy and repetability of computers and computer graphics.

My first foray into 3D modelling was in Form 5, about when I was 16 I think. Sketchup was a free and easy tool to use. Had fun with it. Crashed the computer a few times. All in good fun.

Making something in 3D is only half the journey. As I found out, it is possible to create really pretty pictures from even the simplest 3D model.


I think this is the second render I've ever made. Ah the good times. Nearly five years ago though. :P



I soon found Kerkythea, an open-source, 3D rendering engine free to use online. I didn't find it that much fun, believe it or not, because of the complexities surrounding renders and imaging at the time. (Also, I couldn't get the anti-aliasing to work. Huh.) Didn't think much of it for a while, so I continued my self-taught learning curve in Sketchup.

I picked up Photography a year later, and the things I've learned in that field led me back to Kerkythea and 3D rendering. It's funny, yet unsurprising that the two fields have so much in common, after all, 3D rendering is basically photography in a simulated, virtual environment, for lack of a better term.

My first render after figuring out the antialiasing feature (and sealed my permanent fate in this field). I still remember the user who helped me out was named Ozylot from the Kerkythea forums, and he has my eternal gratitude.

The cool thing with Kerkythea is that it has a large and helpful userbase. One can just pop in in the forums if you're lost or have questions. (And I finally resolved that anti-aliasing issue that way)


First attempts were confined to playing with lighting, as per the photographer's agenda. It was all fun and games until a point, where you realize that your renders are bland, repetitive. Missing that certain "oomph" that we try all so hard to achieve.

Okay, I still love this render, even if it's so flawed.

Alas, I've dug dig enough that the only way to go was down deeper. It became apparent, that materials and material quality is probably the most important thing in a 3D render. Materiality defines what an object is made of, how it reacts and modifies light in a certain way, and how it contributes to the overall sense and tactility of the image.

From there, I learned about cool things. Specularities, Reflections, Bump Mapping, and how these basic elements define how a material behaves under different lighting conditions.

Over time, I got better and smarter I guess. Rendering is a fun thing if you're into digital imaging, and have an interest on the mechanics of light and how its captured. How light is simulated in a digital environment, and how you can make your renders nicer, and more efficient. I love Kerkythea and still do, but that's another story for another time.

And this is where I stand.



I also got a new PC. My first multicore machine. THE EFFICIENCY HAS BEEN DOUBLED.


And then, I began to study architecture.

The rest is history.


:D


All in all, I love what I do, and I do what I love, and that's why I'm the render monkey for the group.

:D


Okay, I need to stop geeking out like this.

-Saunder

No comments:

Post a Comment